As a volunteer Coastguard Rescue Team we get tasked by Portland MRCC to a number of incidents including:
- Coastal Searches - eg missing persons, overdue walkers, hikers seperated from their group etc.
- Rope (cliff) Rescues - persons fallen over cliffs, injured or tired climbers and in many cases for dogs
- Safety Advice - prevention of accidents and words of advice following incidents
- Helecopter Rescues - supporting the helecopter crew, preparing a landing site, crowd control
- First Aid - much of our work is with injured climbers, walkers, beach users
- Lifeboat Support - we don't have a boat, but we monitor and support Swanage RNLI on shouts
- SW Ambulance - we dont have an ambulance either but we support the service in remote and coastal locations
- Communications - relaying communications between the MRCC Ops Room and a remote incident location
- Ordnance and Flares - identifying washed up items, and keeping a safety cordon until safe disposal
- Community Work - safety cover for Swanage Carnival water-based events, Purbeck Marathon, Fireworks evenings
We are one of a number of 'declared assets' available to HM Coastguard's Portland MRCC for them to call on as they deal with the variety of 999 calls that come in every day.
A multi-agency incident earlier in 2012 involving HM Coastguard, SW Ambulance and Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
WE CANNOT ACCEPT SPENT OR TIME-EXPIRED FLARES OR PYROTECHNICS AT THE STATION. THIS IS NOT ONE OF OUR ROLES AND IT IS ILLEGAL TO ATTEMPT TO DISPOSE OF THEM AT A COASTGUARD RESCUE STATION.
If you have out of date pyrotechnics, these should be disposed of by appointment at the RNLI college in Poole