Whilst a member of public had acted in good faith in removing them from a public place , this bin is not the correct storage container and the risk of injury when emptied was serious enough to act straight away.
The Town Council ( owners of the bin) were immediately informed and the team sealed the container until it can be safely emptied.
Normally the local environmental health team would arrange removal of needles in a public place.
Update - pleased to say that the Town Council have confirmed they were not needles but spikes to stop birds landing on buildings.
The bin is back in service.