Wednesday 2 March 2011

Geo-Caching???

We have the Swanage Senior Guides visiting the station on Friday for a spot of Geo-Caching. When I saw this on the rota I thought…what? Anyway it turns out that that you run around (or walk I suppose) with a Handheld GPS (Global Positioning System) looking for things.


Entry Level GPS


Basically, a high tech treasure hunt for the Girl Guides, sorry Guides… have they have been rebranded? I suppose it is orienteering for a tech savvy generation.

Austen and I thought this was not that exciting but we have since been told that there may be gold biscuits hidden in them hills. Obviously it becomes more interesting when there is proper treasure; in my book chocolate biscuits are treasure. Needless to say if I end up on top of Nine Barrow Down in the dark and cold only to find a pack of Budgen's value custard creams the boss will get some good natured abuse.

Joking aside, it’s a great way of teaching teamwork and navigation skills over challenging terrain. I’m sure the Guides will be very proficient. It'll give us a chance to dust off the team GPS and refresh our own skills.

We often have local schools and community groups visiting us for talks and demostrations etc. and it's something we like to do for the community. Please get in touch if you have any ideas or requests.

1 comment:

Occasional Blog said...

Oi, hands of Geocachers!! From the Swanage Bears.

PS, for a small fee I could tell you where most of the local sites are...