Saturday 21 May 2011

Builders!

At work this week, i.e. my normal day job as a planning officer , I was asked to pop out to a building to make sure it was the correct height. A neighbour had concerns that they were building it too high.


The best way to measure is to actually get up the scaffolding (safety boots and helmet, yes we have PPE at work also) and run a tape measure down the side of the building. So I ask the builders if I can go up on the scaffolding. At this point you normally you get a bit of banter from the builders

So, cue, good natured abuse, along the lines of. “Not scared of heights are we?”, “ooh it’s a lot higher than your desk!” etc, etc. Basically it gives them a good laugh to see an office-bod in a suit trying to get up a double ladder and onto scaffolding.

Sadly I disappointed them by bolting up the ladder and along the scaffolding, “ ...Oh, he’s done this before” said a builder. I laughed and explained that I was a volunteer Coastguard Rescue Officer and that their scaffolding was slightly lower than cliffs along the Dorset Coast.

After I finished the measuring we stood on the scaffolding and had a chat about the Coastguard. “What do you do?”, “Is it fun?” Sounds great! It was fair to say they were genuinely interested.

And best of all “How do I join?” So I explained.

Simply pop down or call your local coastguard station. Or visit the MCA website for more info.


 Oh, by the way, the building was the correct height, they normally are.

No comments: